NOMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NHL 09

+2
Xopenex
FreshBukoJuice
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

NHL 09 Empty NHL 09

Post  FreshBukoJuice Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:26 pm

the more reviews i read about this game, the more interesting it sounds. it's like R6V2 on ice!!! you can customize your "PRO" and start off in the minor leagues gaining attribute points so you can make it to the big show. hahaha... might be worth checking out after all...
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

https://noma.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

NHL 09 Empty Re: NHL 09

Post  Xopenex Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:35 am

dude, this has got to be THE best game i have ever gotten on the PS3!! not that i had a whole lot of games....but i did have Motorstorm, Warhawk, and Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3 before. i spent an easy almost 6 hours playing NHL 09 last nite. i seriously have not done that with any game since the original R6V when we were all on the 360!! dude, thats almost 2 years ago!! anyway, Boyet was one-upping me cus when i logged off last nite at almost 2am...........boyet was still going strong!! i spent most of the night playing "Team Quick Match" online. in other words, its 5 on 5 (or 6 on 6) with pretty much each player being a human. each game lasts about 20 min to half an hour. i have to admit, i didnt score a goal until my 3rd or 4th game....but when i did i actually yelled out in excitement!!! anyway, in another game i scored 2 goals (my team won 3-1) and ended up getting the 2nd and 1st star for the game. on a side note.........if i were playing the computer AI, i surely would be rackin up some goals (just like anyone would).........but being that you are playing against other people and even a human goalie, you really have to earn your goals. scoring is definitely not as easy as 1-2-3. as i mentioned to boyet.....the online modes are robust!! you have league play galore, ranked and unranked 1 on 1 matches, team matches etc...etc..etc... i think doing the League Play is the way to take the most advantage of this game. in league play, you basically get your friends together and form a team. you can customize your jerseys, colors, team name etc... (atleast thats the way i understand it).......then you take your team and play other human teams online. i heard EA even tracks the best players in each position!! there was one funny point in the night..........i was playing in a game, and my teammate intercepted a pass, my teammate then fed me on a CLEAR breakaway with nobody in sight. anyway, i was literally 5 feet from the goalie and i tried to deke the goalie with the right thumbstick......but my dumb*** ended up shooting the puck into the corner of the rink!!! talk about literally throwing away a perfect opportunity!!!! all i heard was that ESPN guy, say "he's got a breakaway!!"......next thing i know, i throw the puck into the corner just mere feet away from the goalie!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and another fun thing to do is check/hook opposing players after the whistle.....seems like everyone enjoys taking runs at the opposing team after whistles!!! alright, enough of my ramblings..........all i can say is i think i'll pretty much be glued to this game for the foreseeable future. atleast in my opinion.......the best PS3 investment i made yet.
Xopenex
Xopenex

Back to top Go down

Post  Xopenex Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 am

by the way Buks.......yes, your right. you can do all that you mentioned and then some in the career mode of NHL 09. but the online modes are where the real action is at!!!! not knockin the career mode by any means, its just once you dabble in the online modes......the career mode ends up taking a backseat. by the way Boyet......my dude is 6ft. 7in, 215 lbs, "playmaker", right handed, uses a "Sher-wood" hockey stick (brings back the old days huh?), and uses "Graf" hockey skates......just like what Brian Leetch used to use!! hehehehe. oh yeah, one last thing......my guy also uses the old school "Cooper" helmet, that I used to use back in the day!!! i chose the right side Jersey "tuck-in-the-pants" look. Boyet, what did you play last night?? wat mode i mean???
Xopenex
Xopenex

Back to top Go down

NHL 09 Empty hehe...

Post  ender_bigguns Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:51 am

boj...ur right...im getting a kick out of just 'leveling' up my guy...he looks like vijay singh, but at least im wearing a jersey with "BIGGUNS" on the back. truthfully the be a pro mode feels like virtua tennis 3 but without the mini-games...ratty surprisingly enough it's not as easy (or i just suk right now)...my team (utica devils) is 1-3...sux...im still trying to just finish my rookie card...i need one more point...i think im like 1 assist 3 goals and a 2 +/-...i think i need to maybe tweak my setttings or something...

anyway...boj its definitely worth a look...they have video replay...snapshots and save video features like halo...make your own player features like r6v2 meets vt3...and mmo features online...the craziest part was you really do have to play your position...ive only been playing on rookie mode and they feed you arrows on your positioning...the shot features are nice checking is nice...ratty...had two fights yesterday and won two fights...right now my player feels more like a tie domi...i would definitely recommend renting it with an 80% chance of buying for anyone who doesnt like hockey...if you do like hockey this feels like a MUST buy...honestly i dont see why ea hasnt made every sport game like this...it sounds like this years ea games really stepped up...
ender_bigguns
ender_bigguns

Back to top Go down

Post  FreshBukoJuice Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:35 am

nice reviews boys... but all that hockey talk that i don't understand probably will prevent me from getting this game.

hehehe...

have fun with it boyz...
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xopenex Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:50 am

boyet......i gots to give the career mode more of a chance. i did do a little bit of the career mode earlier in the night, then i dabbled in the online modes and got hooked!!! my career mode guy has "GRANDPA" on the back of the jersey.......sound familiar?? hehehehe. anyway, i ended up starting with the devils as well. i started off with the "Lowell Devils" of the AHL league (on Be-A-Pro mode). what league are you in?? are the Utica Devils in the AHL??.....or IHL?? or some other league??

NHL 09 is definitely a far cry from your NHL 2K6 that you have in your library though isnt it Boyet?!?!?! Boyet, we should start a team up once we feel really comfortable with the gameplay/controls in NHL 09....cus i think the League play is where the shiz is at. lemme know what you think. did you try out the "Team Online" play?? by the way, i think that 6 on 6 with each player having their own 3rd person view camera is only on the League Play mode. i played a bunch of games on the Quick Team Online play last night and they were all the overhead view of the ice.
Xopenex
Xopenex

Back to top Go down

NHL 09 Empty buks....rent it first...just to try it out....

Post  ender_bigguns Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:55 am

i wasnt much of a soccer fan till winning eleven...nhl09 will do the same for a lot of non-hockey fans i think

ratty...im just stuck in the past...utica was the old farm team...it is lowell...hehe
ender_bigguns
ender_bigguns

Back to top Go down

Post  FreshBukoJuice Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:05 am

i understand... but then again, i kept winning eleven for a total of 2 weeks. ha ha ha...
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xopenex Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:05 am

i agree with your assessment boyet.....that non-NHL fans can get into this game. i have to admit though, i didnt see too many NHL newbies online last night when i was playing the "team" play. you could usually tell who's an NHL newbie with the whole offsides thing......almost every game i played, peeps knew what the offsides were, and when there was a delayed offsides.....peeps knew how to get back onsides. that said, NHL 09 has alot of features that newbies can get into.
Xopenex
Xopenex

Back to top Go down

Post  Pritong_Manok Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:13 pm

this orforced unleashed.. ash shiet i can't afford either one.. dammit.. sigh
Pritong_Manok
Pritong_Manok

Back to top Go down

Post  FreshBukoJuice Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:24 pm

is the force unleashed coop play? if it is, and you get it, let me know. ha ha ha... gonna make my own sith lord... ha ha ha...
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FreshBukoJuice Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:33 pm

so i started my be-a-pro career. presently got a 2-1 record with the lowell devils. Buko Juice, number 18. 3 goals for the season with 1 assist. he he he... picked the center position, 6'4" 230 lb. center. all nike/bauer equipment (i am a nike whore even in the virtual world).

one complaint i have, your team AI sucks ass!!! it is so frustrating getting them to skate forward out of the neutral zone so i don't get offside penalties. and they never pass for shit!!! man, it's gonna take a while for me to get better with this game. he he he...

anyways, hope to see you guys online. maybe you can give me some pointers. ha ha ha... got a new headset as well since my earpiece died...
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xopenex Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Wow!! i have to admit, i never thought you would actually get NHL 09 Buks. anyways, just press the right trigger button to "call for the pass" whenever you want the puck. as long as they have control of the puck, and there is a passing lane open to you.......they'll get it to you. its just like real hockey.....in the sense that if there is a passing lane to you, you have a better chance at getting the pass from a teammate. dude, all we need is Kevin and Kenny and we have a full line....ofcourse we still need a goalie. try the "quick team online" mode........thats where i tend to spend a bulk of my time. its the next best thing to the league play.....but in order to play in the league, you have to have a full team. the league play is where that 6 player with each player having their own 3rd person camera view is at. i dont think that feature is in any other mode.......(i could be wrong though).
Xopenex
Xopenex

Back to top Go down

Post  Xopenex Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:13 pm

by the way, i always play RW (right wing). even online, i race to hit the RW option before anyone else does. i played RW through most of my hockey days......so i have a good idea where i should be at all times on the ice. i have a big guy too Buks, now i am considering making him smaller because i think the smaller guys are faster. although, giving huge hits is a nice plus being so damn big. dude, heres a tip........while in the offensive zone trying to score, just constantly press the R trigger button whenever your team has control.....they'll dish the puck off to you giving you lots of scoring chances. right now, i average about 2 goals a game. those damn goalies keep saving my shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xopenex
Xopenex

Back to top Go down

Post  FreshBukoJuice Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:30 am

thanks for the tips xop. yea... was contemplating making my guy smaller but, you'd have to start the be a pro mode all over again. maybe i will do that... am probably going to make my guy the size that i currently am now. he he he...

not really looking to check a lot since i can't get the timing down. but, i like poke checking. so if you're right wing, and i'm center, what's ender?

i know kenny said he wanted to be either a goalie or defense, but not sure...

Manila ICE?
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FreshBukoJuice Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:40 am

he he he... i made my guy closer to what my real size is. 5'10" 225 lbs. started another career mode and am now with the toronto maple leafs. he he he...
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FreshBukoJuice Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:49 am

damn!!! it's hard scoring on this isht!!! xop, you gotta show me how to consistently score one of these days...
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pritong_Manok Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:30 pm

boys i have made elite in r6v2.. so now my time will be spent on NHL 09 just got it... will do my custom camo first in r6v2 then i will become a pro.. see you on the ice.. thinking about going for the rangers farm league heheheheh
Pritong_Manok
Pritong_Manok

Back to top Go down

Post  Xopenex Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Buks.....you''re right, you do have to start over again if you wanna adjust the characteristics of your player. i just made the "big club" with the NJ Devils, so i dont think i'll be restarting.....i'll just go with what i have. by the way, the team AI in the NHL is better than the AI in the AHL.....but not a whole lot better (like i thought). hell, atleast in the NHL your teammates can actually make nice, crisp passes (unlike the AHL). but to answer your question.......both Boyet and I played RW back in the day. boyet texted me a little while ago saying that he is willing to move over to LW for NHL 09. or if not, i can just move over to LW....the positioning is pretty much the same as the RW just on the other side.

Manila Ice sounds good to me!!! as for scoring, just make your AI teammates do the dirty work along the boards in the offensive zone. position yourself in the "slot" which is pretty much in front of the net......but dont be directly in front of the goalie cus the defensemen will harass you (just like in real hockey)......lay off a bit but still play in the slot. when your teammates are doing the dirty work, and they obtain control of the puck.......call for the pass with the right trigger. just remember that the shooting is on "manual" so you have to just keep in mind that you are aiming correctly. also, try "centering" passes work well.....especially with 2 on 1's. so if you and a teammate are on a rush and you are against only one opponent defender......pass it to your teammate at the last second and let him score, or call for the pass at the last second so you can score.....that way you are stretching out the goalie to make a tough save (if he even does). hold on......i gots to go........i'll post again later with the remainder of my tips. later meng.
Xopenex
Xopenex

Back to top Go down

Post  FreshBukoJuice Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:33 pm

thanks for the additional tips xop... it's up to you guys... i think kevin's a center as well.

i actually just made first line on my normal career. first line in toronto's AHL team. still trying to get used to the movements and timing. and my aiming blows!!!! all my shots are up in the air when i want it to go five hole. gotta get used to the nuances of aiming and moving with the same stick...
FreshBukoJuice
FreshBukoJuice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pritong_Manok Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:44 pm

i am actually a left winger.. 5 11 275 pounds for the Hartford wolf pack..

aight control wise i like this game... there's seems to be no hitch almost fluid in a way.. what i hate is AI cuz everytime i want to score.. they can't guard for shiet..and i get so many open looks but for some odd reason.. the goalies are phenomenal... they make every save.. i only have two goals for gosh sakes..

any tips on scoring and what actually is it a slot? where exactly is that? in reference to the goal? also.. have you noticed that when u call for shot they don't actually pass to u.. it's when tell them to pass that's only time they'll pass to u.. or it just might be my ps3.. it's been acting weird lately...

i like the game.. my record sucks but dude i lot the hits on this thing.. i knock one guy out and he was like shiet.. i think i've done 8 games already and i have over 100 hits already hahahaha.. maybe i should switch back to a grinder.. am a left wing power forward right now hahaha...i can't shoot for shit.. but it's all good.. i gotta figure this out..
Pritong_Manok
Pritong_Manok

Back to top Go down

Post  Xopenex Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:14 pm

Nice Kev!! glad you got the game. i saw you and your bro online last night. i sent a text message to your bro....cus i tried to create a team but when i typed in Manila Ice for team name, it came up....."that name has been taken". i was like.....what????? anyway, i texted your bro saying that its been taken and he texted back......thats cus i already created the team.

as far as your teammates not getting you the puck......first off you have to remember that you are starting off in the Minor Leagues. they already suck to begin with. once you make it to the NHL, you'll quickly notice that your teammates will make more crisper passes. the NHL players arent 100% better.....but they are noticeably better. secondly, you should call for the pass when you are open....and better yet, if there is an open passing lane. if not, the pass will either get intercepted or just bounce off of an opponents stick and not reach you. dont worry though.....there's nothing wrong with your PS3, thats just how the game plays when you are in the minor leagues. the slot is the area in front of the net.......in basketball terms, you can consider it like the paint. you can say its like maybe that 10 feet extending in front of the goal/goalie. but like i said, dont park your butt directly in front of the goalie or the defensemen will cross check you/poke at you/ and generally just harass you. try to move around and get open within the slot. call for a pass when you are open and when you've got a passing lane between you and your teammate that has the puck.

as a left winger (when playing defense), your main job is to keep your opponents defensemen in check. so, lets say you are at the vantage point where your own goal is on the bottom part of the tv screen...... lets also say that your opponents are all set up in your zone trying to score....... you should be positioned on the left side of the screen closer to your opponents defensemen. ofcourse you can drop a bit lower towards your own goal to help out on D, but dont get too far down low....cus then you'll be in the wrong area. again, you'll notice that your opponents defensemen will be close to the blue line......your positioning is important because when your own teammates eventually get control of the puck, it will help with your "breakout" as we say in hockey. in hockey, defense creates offense. so....once your teammates get control of the puck in your own zone (and you are now going on offense) try to be on the left side of the screen, right next to the boards, but below your blue line.....this will create a passing lane to you. if you want you can even stay stationary on the left boards waiting for a pass. if the pass doesnt come, then just follow the play down the ice into their zone. if your teammates obtain control of the puck on the far side of the ice (the right side of the tv screen), you can cross towards the middle part of the ice in your zone to create a passing lane. again, the important point here is to create a passing lane for yourself so you can get the puck. also, just remember to not stray too far from your teammates because more than likely, they wont pass it to you if you are too far from them (example, you are on the redline and you are calling for a pass when your teammates are still near your goalie). anyway, that was a quicky on playing D and how defense will create offense. sorry for being extremely technical......but you're gonna need to know this stuff anyway, if we are going to play online. the reason why i went into all this is because you were saying that you arent getting the passes from your teammates. i think maybe you just arent getting open enough....so next time you play, try using these techniques and i'm sure you notice that you'll get more passes. and if all else fails, just abuse the hell out of that right trigger!!! hehehe.
Xopenex
Xopenex

Back to top Go down

NHL 09 Empty sheesh...

Post  ender_bigguns Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:56 am

im still trying to get past second line...man i think i might start over and make an offensive defenseman (coffey style ratty!) if im on tonight itll be real late...i must be lagging behind...dang...lets go manila ice!!!
ender_bigguns
ender_bigguns

Back to top Go down

NHL 09 Empty out of curiosity...

Post  ender_bigguns Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:59 am

i googled "manila ice" +hockey to see if there is a team already out there...first hit was the "manila ice vixens" female ice hockey team...crazy!
ender_bigguns
ender_bigguns

Back to top Go down

Post  Pritong_Manok Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:34 am

thanks ratty.. now when u say abuse the right trigger is it the R2 or R1 button.. R1 calls for the shot which they never give to me anyway.. when i use R2 that's the pass button and that's when i get the passes..

as for me being in the slot am usually hanging around the left side of the offensive goal..or wrap around to see if i can do the backhander for some odd reason though my shots are always blocked.. i only scored twice one in over time where i passed this guy to put a back hander through the goalies out stretch arms.. the other i was in front of the goalie and i think i deked him once and i scored again.. but deking especially when there's like defense men right in front of the goalie is hard...

and i still can't get the slapshot down.. ah well still learning.. am actually playiing 6 minute matches heheheh. i want to extend it but it might feel long.. i don't really want to do that.. what minute matches are u playing in?

still thinking about becoming a defense man once again..
Pritong_Manok
Pritong_Manok

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum